Copying and distributing are prohibited without permission of the publisher
NTT buys UK data centre operator
01 June 2012
NTT takes 85% stake in UK data centre operator, Gyron Internet, as part of expansion outside Japan
NTT Communications has taken a controlling 85% stake in Gyron Internet, which runs a data centre in the south-east of England and is building two more. The other 15% of the company, which was set up in 2000, will remain with the managing director and operations director.
The move is part of NTT’s strategy to build and acquire data centres outside Japan to give more resilience for Japanese customers and to develop business in the rest of the world.
Masaaki Moribayashi, managing director of NTT Europe, told Global Telecoms Business that the company is building its third data centre in Hong Kong and has just opened a new data centre in Singapore as part of its global expansion. NTT has data centres in the US and Malaysia, “and now we have one in London”.
Gyron has one data centre and is building two more, all within 30-40 kilometres of the city centre. Customers include Adobe, Symantec and Spotify.
NTT plans to use its telecoms network and its data centres to offer cloud services to enterprise customers, said Moribayashi, in an interview with GTB to be published shortly. He noted that 80% of NTT Europe’s revenue comes from non-Japanese customers, and he hopes to boost that to more than 90%. GTB
More from GTB
NTT DoCoMo may raise Tata stake 28 Mar 2012
NTT to buy 74% of India's Netmagic 27 Jan 2012
NTT opens new locations in eastern Europe 21 Nov 2011
Dimension Data increases Kenya stake 20 Oct 2011
NTT's global IP network hits 500 gigabits 04 Aug 2011